The History of
Oakdene Guest House, Oudtshoorn
In 1847 the small Klein Karoo town known as ‘Veldskoen’ was renamed Oudtshoorn.
Six years later, Oakdene was built on the main road by Mr. J.H. Mulder, who later also built Oudtshoorn’s magnificent sandstone Moederkerk and the Pastorie. In Oakdene, Mulder’s style blended typical Cape vernacular with elements of traditional Victorian and Klein Karoo architecture.
Oakdene Guest House
A National Monument
The original Victorian trelliswork which still stands perfectly intact today, was added around the turn of the Century. The ‘lei-watersloot’ running in front of the house is the last remaining section of the original lei which supplied water to the Oudtshoorn of old.
In order to preserve the lei, the historic facade and the oak trees in front of Oakdene, the building was declared a National Monument in 1988. Oakdene is one of the oldest & finest examples of architecture from the early days of Oudtshoorn.